Thursday, September 25, 2008

Beer, Vodka, Gin and Gender Identity

Monday night I was sitting in a local bar, watching the hockey game, and sharing a pitcher of beer with some friends. I noticed two guys sitting a few tables over sipping on Smirnoff Ice Coolers. My first reaction was to chuckle; I know that's stereotypical and judgmental of me, but I'm sorry, it happened. But as I started to think about why I had chuckled at these two guys I realized it was because of the stereotypes and gender identities embedded in the alcoholic beverages we drink, and these guys were drinking coolers which are socially labeled as a feminine drink or a "bitch drink".

I hate the terminology "bitch drink"; its so demeaning in so many ways.

But where did these alcohol gender identities come from anyway? First and foremost (the obvious) advertising. This doesn't require much explaining, we all know that products are marketed to target audiences, and gender is one element used to define who those target audiences are. Secondly I would have to say peer pressure; good old 7th grade have to buy those new shoes, peer pressure. We as the collective group of alcohol consumers (both legal and under age) reinforce the gender identities by coming up with terminology like "bitch drink".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda like when girls laugh at me for drinking a couple of Zimas

Francis Ngo said...

Way to go gender stereotypes. Makes all those marketers think twice eh?

"Maybe we should sell some girly drinks Ron!"

Anonymous said...

Should guys be drinking a bitch drink at a place that is showing football?

There's your problem!