Thursday, March 19, 2009

Where Do We Draw the Social Line?

I'm currently involved in a love/hate relationship with the library. I love the smell of old books, sitting in a central hub of knowledge, the uncomfortable desks and chairs that prevent me from sleeping longer than 20 minutes, the lack of distractions, the plain, boring decor that makes my school work seem more interesting, and the fact that i can actually sit in the library for 4-5 hours and accomplish something. I hate the noise; the people that talk on their cell phones, people who listen to music too loud, people who use the library as a hangout or a lunchroom. So basically I love the library when I'm the only one in it.

I just don't understand how some people don't understand the concept that the library is a quiet study space. Why? Why is it so difficult to understand? Why can't people just shut the f*** up?

It seems that people have this constant social need; to constantly be social, involved in some type of social atmosphere, regardless of their personal obligations, needs, or events. Wherever people go there social atmosphere must follow, via cell phones and the internet. Is this a product of loneliness? Are people becoming so afraid to be alone that they must constantly be social? Or am i just taking this too far, and reading into it too much?

No comments: